Belmont Park Tennis Club

 

About Us 

 Did you know?

  • BPTC has squads for all ages and abilities, including Hot Shots, elite levels with fitness sessions and more.
  • BPTC's coach was John Fairchild, WA’s only Tennis Australia Accredited High Performance Tennis Coach outside the Academy, who has been devoted to the club for many years. John has recently retired from coaching at Belmont.
  • Now BPTC has Lisa Brannan as our new Club Coach. Lisa has 27 years of experience, and is a TA Club Professional Level 2 and a TCA Development Coach Level 1.
  • BPTC encourages etiquette and always make visitors feel welcome.
  • BPTC has great facilities, including 6 hard courts and 12 of the best lawn courts in the metro area.
  • BPTC has a facebook group that keeps members up to date with information regarding pennants, social play and club events.
  • BPTC's Thursday morning mixed social tennis group's members encourage regular visitors from other clubs to enjoy great matches and their friendly hospitality.

 

  • The Belmont Park Tennis Club was the second Club in the district to be formed in 1937 and was built behind the old   Belmont Council buildings on Great Eastern Highway with Bill O’Meara in charge of the project.

 

  • In 1965, the Club moved towards the highway position on the river side, as they needed 8-10 courts.  The Club took out a loan for the building of the Clubhouse. 

 

  • In 1975, under the RED Scheme instigated by Gough Whitlam’s government, the present building and courts were constructed.......  More history about Belmont below.

 

 

A History of Belmont extract by the City of Belmont.

The municipality of Belmont was established in 1898 as the Belmont Road Board. In 1907, the name was changed to Belmont Park Road Board and remained as such until 1961 when it became the Shire of Belmont. In 1979, the present administration building was opened in Faulkner Park and the municipality became the City of Belmont.

The municipality was called Belmont after "Belmont Farm" which had been established in the area in 1830 by Captain F. Byrne. The farm, of 2000 acres was later acquired by John Hardey who had already established "Grove Farm", also 2000 acres, on the banks of the Swan nearby. John Hardey and his son Robert were destined to own almost the entire Belmont area. In 1848, Hardey allowed the first race meeting to be held on "Grove Farm" alongside the river. In 1889 he leased a mansion built on the property, called "Belmont House" to a racing owner J. Handron-Smith who became the Secretary of the West Australian Turf Club and later became the first Chairman of the Belmont Road Board.

The early settlers in Belmont found the land to be of poor quality for cropping and swampy in many parts. Needless to say, many of the Chinese migrants who came with the gold rush in the 1890's found the swampy areas excellent for some of Perth's first market gardens. In 1911, the population of Belmont was 1088. Today, the City of Belmont is a thriving municipality of over 30000 inhabitants contained in an area of 40 square kilometres.

The Belmont Park Tennis Club was originally located in an area off Great Eastern Highway opposite the Belmont Primary School, which later became known as "Parry Field" before the Tennis and Bowling Clubs were relocated to their present sites in the 70's. The new clubrooms were opened on 29th November 1975.